tisdag 24 november 2009

Weezer, from Gen X icons to Frat-rock Hipsters



Have always had an ear open for Weezer since their magical debut back in the ironic heydays of the 90's, where they churned out Generation X classics like:"Undone (The Sweater Song)", "Say It Aint So" and "Buddy Holly".
They have a new album out called "Raditude", which boasts some really decent tracks. Weezer have always had an ironic/alternative sense of humour, and this album is not different. Even though the feel generally is that Weezer have defined their audience as college kids, who are smart and tongue-in-cheek, but still wants to party like there's no tomorrow. The best songs have quite hard guitars, and something of an updated Beach Boys sound, except "I Can't Stop Partying" which is more club-oriented, with some super-ironic Autotune-rapping in it.
The best tracks are placed as no. 1 to 4 on the CD, and they are all very good. (You can hear them all on their Myspace page)
The lyrics on the first track, "If you’re wondering if I want you to (I want you to)" starts out in classic Weezer style:
"The moon was shining on the lake at night
The slayer T-shirt fit the scene just right
Your smeared mascara
I looked into your eyes and saw a light"

Track no 2: "I'm Your Daddy"
(They are not so young anymore...)
Lyrics example:
"You got the brains, the body, and the beauty
To top it off, you're cool
This ain't impossible
This ain't improbable
You are my baby tonight
And I'm your daddy"

Track no 3: "The Girl Got Hot"
Lyrics example:
"Went to a party last Saturday night
The band was doing their thing
The moshpit started, and then the crowd parted
And then was two feet deep
Knew this girl back in junior high school
And nobody gave her a look
Look at what we got, the girl got hot
Switched up and rewrote the book"

Track no 4: "Can't Stop Partying"
Lyrics:
"Monday to Sunday I hit all the clubs
And everybody knows me when I pull up
I got the real big posse with me, yeah I’m deep
And if u lookin for me I’m in vip
Just follow the smoke; they’re bringing bottles of the goose
And all the girls in the corner getting loose
Screw rehab I love my addiction
No sleep no sleep I am always on a mission"

Get the point? Weezer have joined bands like Aerosmith, who always put young kids in their videos, and sings about subjects for younger people. A concert going, record buying audience. Weezer are... Aerosmith for Hipsters!

Inga kommentarer: